#RPGaDay2015 Day 17 - Favorite Fantasy RPG

Eek there's like too many of these...

I'm going to go over some of the games I've played before zero-ing in on a favorite.

Once upon a time I had a blast with a D&D 3.5 game in the Eberron campaign setting. I'm going to say that D&D 3.5 was a blast to play. However, in terms of running the game, especially with regard to prep work, I found it a bit cumbersome. I played some D&D 4e and generally enjoyed it but it felt a bit different from other D&D games and we did run into the dreaded "grind" where the outcome a combat is clear several rounds before it ends.

I've also done some RuneQuest - the second incarnation of the Mongoose version. It's pretty similar to the current incarnation. I enjoyed the give and take of RuneQuest combat and the straightforward skills system. I've only done one full campaign with that, a rather enjoyable fantasy Vikings meeting Lenape in Manhattan.

In more recent games I used Dungeon Crawl Classics and Adventurer Conqueror King System. DCC is a ton of old-school fun using a system quite similar to D&D 3.5 in rules but like older D&D in style and complexity. ACKS has that Basic/Expert D&D system as its starting point with some tweaks for domain-level play.

That brings me back to my earlier gaming life with truer old school games back when they were new school. I started with the old Basic/Expert and "graduated" Advanced D&D.

Thinking about this variety of games, I've rather enjoyed all of them to at least some extent and would gladly play them again. I think at the end of the day I'm a big fan of Chaosium's BRP system which is at the core of RuneQuest. Despite not a ton of time clocked in with RuneQuest, I'm going to give that the win - I'm actually getting a desire to take it for another spin or two.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jules Verne Translations That Don't Stink

Stepping Away and a New Beginning

RPG Review: Fate Accelerated

Using the Force in D6 Star Wars

Developing Boston for 1920s Call of Cthulhu