Comic Books on the TV and Movie Screens

It might be that I'm becoming an old fogie (old enough to have seen the original Star Wars in the theaters) but I'm coming to feel when I want "comic book" type entertainment, I get the best value for my money and my time in the television and movie form.

For me it comes down to the ability to enjoy a story without worrying about untangling the tendrils of crossovers and reboots. (Though some superhero film franchises are overdoing the reboot concept.) Take Guardians of the Galaxy. Over the past year, you'd have your core comic. Comics for the members. Crossover events, including of course into comics you don't read. And every once in a while you get an extreme crossover, usually followed by some sort of reboot. On the Spider-Man side of things you've got Amazing Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2099, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Woman, and Silk. Plus one of more Avengers titles he might be in.

This isn't a bitter "they're just in it for the money" post - of course they're in it for the money. And back in the 80's and 90's I'd absolutely eat up all those crossovers. But now, even if they were free, I probably couldn't keep up with every Marvel and DC comic.

What I'm finding I enjoy more is the weekly adventures of superheroes and vigilantes on television and in the movies. Netflix's Daredevil and Alias series were absolute joys to watch. Though I'm a bit behind, I'm enjoying the universe being built up on the DC side of the fence with Arrow and The Flash. On the other side I'm noticing my comic book purchases have been moving away from the superhero side of the fence.

I don't really have a prognosis, though I seem to be on the verge of shouting "get off my lawn!" I'm not an angry fanboy though - I think what I've been experiencing is simply greater enjoyment in an easier to digest form and when word of mouth for a particular comix story is good, I'll often pick it up in collected form.

And get off my lawn!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jules Verne Translations That Don't Stink

Stepping Away and a New Beginning

RPG Review: Fate Accelerated

Using the Force in D6 Star Wars

Developing Boston for 1920s Call of Cthulhu