Remembering Darwyn Cooke


The news worked its way through my newsfeeds this morning - Darwyn Cooke had passed away at the age of 53 due to an aggressive cancer. Cooke was one of my favorite writers and artists. When I discovered DC: New Frontier I was in absolute awe. He took the Silver Age of DC Comics, an era renowned for its goofiness, and ran with it, telling a mature story while someone remaining true to the original tales. New Frontier is the main reason my current superhero RPG campaign is set in the late 1950s. Earlier this year I reviewed that work.

Though comic books exist as a visual medium, I tend to look first for writers before I look for artists. Cooke was an exception. I'd read anything he was involved in. His drawing style was distinctive, unlike anyone else I can think of in the industry. His tales were of real people - real people even if they were from Mars or Krypton. 

My deepest condolences to his family and loved ones. His creative efforts brought me many hours of joy, probably the greatest compliment I could give to a writer and artist.

His family has requested that donations be made to the Canadian Cancer Society and The Hero Initiative, which helps comics creators in need.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jules Verne Translations That Don't Stink

Stepping Away and a New Beginning

RPG Review: Fate Accelerated

Using the Force in D6 Star Wars

Developing Boston for 1920s Call of Cthulhu